BSc In Health Informatics (Regular)
With a widespread use of information technology in healthcare organizations, there is a pressing need for professionals who are both skilled in the use and management of information systems and knowledgeable in the field of healthcare. With due considerations of the gaps of health informatics professionals in the health systems, nationwide effort for implementation of information revolution agenda in the health sector, and by realizing its potential to establish and run this program, the FMoH in collaboration with higher education institutions shown commitments to launch health informatics program in BSc degree. University of Gondar started a new bachelor’s degree in the health informatics program commencing in 2012. The aim of this program is to promote and support the use of health informatics concept in health services delivery, health management systems, research, learning and health policy development with the ultimate purpose of improving health outcomes for the people.
College/Institute/Department: CMHS/IPH/Department of Health Informatics
Program Title: BSc in Health Informatics
Program Duration (in Years): Four
Study Language: English
Credit Hour: 259
Mode of delivery: Regular
The objective of the Bachelor of Science degree in Health informatics program is to equip graduates with the knowledge, skills, and attitude to:
- Produce equipped professionals who can develop, manage and lead HMIS
- Evaluate the opportunities and limitations of health care technology and of its impact in improving the efficiency, cost- effectiveness, safety and quality of health care delivery.
- Express user requirements for health care information systems.
- Integrate computing, managerial knowledge, and experience with health-related knowledge and experience.
- Ensure compliance with the standards and regulations governing systems in health information system domain.
- Formulate, evaluate and apply evidence-based solutions in the delivery of health care.
- Structure, design and analysis principles of the health record including notions of data quality, minimum data sets, architecture and general applications of the electronic patient record/electronic health record.
- Design and implement informatics methods and tools to support education, and use of relevant educational technologies.
- Undertake project work in such a way that it is planned, implemented and interpreted with due regard for evidence, appropriate modes of enquiry and the communication of its outcomes
Candidates must be a natural science student in secondary school & preparatory classes and meet the set criteria of the Ministry of Education for degree students to join higher learning institution.
A student cannot graduate with a grade of less than 2.0 out of the 4-scale grading system. Other requirements will be administered per the curriculum.