PhD in Public Health Informatics
Health information is a cornerstone of the primary health care approach and is considered to be one of the key developmental priorities in the country. Accordingly, trained professional at higher level is essential to solve problems. The PhD program in Public Health Informatics, the very first of its kind in Ethiopia and Africa, was launched in line with the new five-year health sector transformation plan of the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia that aims to have information revolution in the health system. The plan highlighted the lack of highly qualified Health Informatics professionals and scientific evidence as one of the top challenges facing the Ethiopian Health sector in addition to health services financing, health services management, and health service distribution. The goal of the doctoral program is to train candidates to become independent, productive, and creative research scientists in the field of Health Informatics.
College/Institute/Department: CMHS/IPH/Department of Health Informatics
Program Title: PhD in Public Health Informatics
Program Duration (in Years): Four
Study Language: English
Credit Hour: 44
Mode of delivery: Regular
The objective of the program is:
- To produce graduates who are qualified for positions in academia, research institutes, government, and industry.
- To produce scientists who are experts in health information system development and research to support promotion, diseases prevention and control.
- Evaluate the opportunities and limitations of health care technology and impact of ICT and Health Information System in improving the efficiency, cost- effectiveness, safety and quality of health care delivery.
- Formulate, evaluate and apply evidence-based eHealth solutions in the delivery of health care to augment information revolution agenda.
- To produce experts who involve in policy change and development at all levels.
- To produce experts who design and implement community service projects.
The Admissions Committee looks for a range of indicators of high aptitude, achievement and interest in health informatics, usually including research (or public health work) experience in the health informatics or related fields, and indications that applicants have researched the field of health informatics.
- Previous Degree Requirements: Applicants from Higher education Institution will get the highest priority. Meeting all the criteria does not guarantee admission due to the limited space in the department. Applicants to the D. in public health informatics program with prior education in MSc/MPH in health informatics or MPH are directly eligible for the program. Applicants with Masters in other health related fields (such as medical and health sciences, statistics, demography, sociology, psychology, economics, management) or in informatics related field (such as information systems, information technology, computer science, computer engineering) are also eligible but needs to take pre-requisite courses or have taken equivalent courses/training. Auditing prerequisite courses will be determined based on individual’s academic profile. The applicant who takes pre-requisite course should score minimum grade of “B” to join the program. The applicant should have done thesis for his/her master’s degree or should publish a research as principal investigator after finishing his/her masters. Applicants must submit official transcripts to the CMHS registrar office. For sponsored applicants, they should bring sponsorship letter from their organizations which will cover the education fee. Candidates who pass the preliminary screening can be invited for an entrance examination and interview, and those who scored passing mark on the comprehensive written examination and interview will be admitted or registered for the program.
- Previous degree Grades:
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA): 3.0/4.0 in their graduate study, Preferred Work or Research experience in Health Informatics
- Teaching experience in the health sciences university/colleges after graduate study,
- Candidates who have work experience and publication will be privileged.
- Letters of Recommendations
- Two recent letters of reference from professors or other doctoral-level health science supervisors who know your work reasonably well, and which demonstrate your exceptional potential for training and career in epidemiology.
- At least one (preferably two) should come from a professor or equivalent academic source. At least one letter evaluating your research experience is especially helpful.
- Do not bring letters from relatives, other students or non-professional acquaintances.
- PhD concept note (Synopsis)
- PhD applicants must provide a statement of research interest (maximum of 5 pages). Describe the specific content area in which you propose to focus your doctoral work; why this area is of interest to you.
- Proof of Competency in Oral and Written English
- As the medium of instruction is English, applicants whose medium of instruction at secondary and/or higher education was not English would be required to produce a certificate of proficiency in English language.
- A curriculum vita is required with maximum page of 5.
- Sponsorship letter from employer or declaration statement if self-sponsored
Whereas specific combinations will be decided by the specific course facilitators/instructors, student evaluation will be made by different methods such as written examination, seminar presentations, and off campus assignments. Submission of assignments /seminar reports will be done based on the specific course deadline. Doctoral students in health informatics are required to publish their main outcome on reputable journal and to make two additional papers on under peer review. The student is also expected to defend his/her dissertation publicly.
|Year||Course Title||Course Code||Credit Hour|
|Year I-II||Philosophy of Science||PuHe801||2|
|Ethics In Health Research||PuHe803||2|
|Measurement in Health informatics Research||PuHe804||3|
|Advanced health informatics||HI821||3|
|eHealth Implementation sciences||HI822||3|
|Doctoral Seminar on systematic review and Meta-analysis in health informatics||PuHe805||3|
|Dissertation Research I||PuHe806||4|
|Special Research Methods Seminar I in Health Informatics||PuHe901||4|
|Health Informatics-Special Topic Seminar I*||PuHe902||3|
|Dissertation Research II||PuHe903||3|
|Year III-VI||Special Research Methods Seminar II*||PuHe904||4|
|Health Informatics-Special Topic Seminar II*||PuHe905||3|
|Dissertation Research III||PuHe906||3|
|Total Credit Hours||44|