Getasew Amare is an assistant professor of Health Economics in the Department of Health Systems and Policy at the University of Gondar, where he has been a faculty member since 2014.
Getasew has completed his Master’s and undergraduate studies at the University of Gondar. He has over seven years of experience as a health economist, lecturer, and researcher. He has a solid background in Public health and health economics, with specific training and expertise in Health care financing, health economics, health program economic evaluation, health information systems, and public health. He has participating as a mentor for HIS activities in the health facilities and as a trainer of health data quality, information use, and LMG for health professionals. He has served as the coordinator and head of the college of medicine and health science technology transfer and university-industry linkage coordinating office and Health Systems and Policy Department, respectively.
Getasew is a core team of eHealth lab Ethiopia and a member of different national and global health projects and implementation research in the area of health data quality and data use-with funding from major national and international organizations, including; the Ethiopian Ministry of Health, WHO, and others.
He has been an M&E team member of the Capacity Building and Mentorship Project (CBMP) training and mentorship program activity, a five-year collaborative project to provide capacity building and mentorship in implementing the information revolution agenda in Amhara and Benshangul Gumuz regions since 2018. He led an implementation science research on Vaccine safety practice and its implementation barriers and the cost-effectiveness of performance based non-financial incentive intervention for health information performance improvement He was also involved as a field supervisor for immunization practice.
He has published 15+ peer-reviewed papers on health systems and policy, Health Economics, and healthcare financing. His main research interests lie in the issues of healthcare financing, health economics, health program economic evaluation, health information systems, and implementation science. He has collaborated actively with researchers in several other disciplines. He has successfully coordinated several research projects to completion.
- Capacity building and mentorship program (CBMP)
- Digital Health Activity (DHA)
- Getasew Amare, Mezgebu Y, Amare M, Ayal D, Mothers acceptance and willingness to pay for an out-of-pocket payment for maternal and child nutrition service in Northwest Ethiopia. August 18, 2021, Volume 2021:13 Pages 767—776, DOI https://doi.org/10.2147/CEOR.S325617 (PI and Corresponding Author)
- Getasew Amare, Seyoum T, Zayede T, Tazebew A, Teklu A, Mekonnen ZA, Endehabtu BF, Sharkey A, Tilahun B. Vaccine safety practices and its implementation barriers in Northwest Ethiopia: A qualitative study. The Ethiopian Journal of Health Development. 2021 November 22; 35(3) (PI and Corresponding Author).
- Ayal D, Ayenew ML, Koku ST, Getasew Amare, Getayeneh AT. Complete vaccination service utilization inequalities among children aged 12-23 months in Ethiopia: a multivariate decomposition analysis. 2020 May 12; 19(1): 65.DOI: 10.1186/s12939-020-01166-8.