MPH in Health Informatics
The WHO has recognized the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) as a core competency of the 21st century healthcare workforce to support patient care. Thus, professionals having good knowledge, attitude and practice on the ICTs application in health system are highly demanded in Ethiopia. Master of public Health in Health Informatics in the University of Gondar is the graduate program established with the aim of producing health informatics professionals that can support the public health practices, research, and teaching learning.
College/Institute/Department: CMHS/IPH/Department of Health Informatics
Program Title: MPH in Health Informatics
Program Duration (in Years): Two
Mode of delivery: Regular
The program has been designed to:
- Produce competent graduates who can manage, and analyze health and health related data by using health Informatics tools
- Produce graduates who can design, implement, monitor and evaluate health information technologies in order to facilitate evidence based practice
- Enable graduates to undertake public health and health informatics researches
- Prepare graduates to support the teaching and research processes using appropriate Information and communication technologies
- Produce graduates that contribute to health information policy formulation, implementation, and ultimately changes towards better health of the population
In addition to the general requirements by UOG, the admission criteria for Master of Public health in Health Informatics are:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Science, Computer Science, Information Technology or any related fields from a recognized University; or
- Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, health informatics and related fields from recognized university; and proven familiarity with computer related skills
- An official letter from employer confirming that applicant was working in that organization
- At least two years of working experience in recognized organization
- Applicants must forward two recommendation letters from their employers and academic supervisors.
- For sponsored applicants, they should bring sponsorship letter from their organizations which will cover the education fee
- Candidates who pass the preliminary screening can be invited for an entrance examination and interview, and those who scored passing mark on the comprehensive written examination and interview will be admitted or registered for the program.
Students are required to meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for the award of the Master of Public Health Degree in Health Informatics.
- A minimum grade of “B” in all the courses offered or an overall CGPA of at least 3.0
- Successful completion of all the credit hours of the course work
- Defend successfully his/her thesis work to be eligible for graduation