The Ethiopia Data Use Partnership (E-DUP) is a collaborative endeavor of the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) to advance the country’s health information systems. The E-DUP provides technical assistance to the Ethiopian Health Sector to improve the collection and use of high-quality routine information in the health sector, leading to better quality, efficiency, and availability of primary health and nutrition services at all levels of the health system.
Through the E-DUP platform and using funding from Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (DDCF), 10 Ph.D. level study opportunities with a research concentration in health information systems will be provided in collaboration with six universities; Addis Ababa University, Haromaya University, Mekelle University, Gondar University, Jimma University, and Hawassa University.
Potential candidates for these PHD studies are those who are currently working within the Federal Ministry of Health, Regional Health Bureaus, Zonal Health Departments, Woreda Health Offices, health centers, Hospitals, local Universities, research institutions that have experience in health information systems, health systems, health leadership, public health and related areas.
Candidates should get support letter from the respective government offices and they are expected to provide mandatory services after graduation.
(III) Admission Requirements
PHD candidates should be able to meet the minimum admission requirement of the respective hosting local Universities. This is a fulltime study with a four to five years commitment. There will be opportunities for the successful candidates to participate in international trainings or exchange programs as needed and as they are available.
1. Candidates having second degree with dissertation in any of MPH/MSC/MA in any public health, Demography/ Population Studies, Human Nutrition, Nursing, Social Sciences and related field.
2. Candidates having second degree without dissertation in any of the above fields and have at least one single authored publication or two or more co-authored publications.
3. Presentation of a sound preliminary PhD proposal concept note with a focus on health information, health informatics, health systems, and related topics.
4. Willingness to participate in the hosting University’s teaching program.
5. Candidates should facilitates transfer of official transcript to the hosting University.
6. Recommendation letters from three referees; two of which are from referees that work on public health policy and program.
7. Age: from 25 to 45 years.
8. Minimum 5 years of professional experience.
(IV) PHD program and hosting University
The followings are list of Universities that participate in this program with the field of study.
1) Addis Ababa University – PHD in; Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Informatics, IT.
2) Gondar University – PHD in; Health Informatics, Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics.
3) Mekelle University – PHD in Public Health.
4) Hawassa University – PHD in Public Health.
5) Haromaya University – PHD in Public Health.
6) Jimma University – PHD in Public Health, RH, Nutrition.
(IV) Research proposal concept note
Interested applicants should submit a concept note which is not more than five pages about the planned research they want to focus on during the PHD study. The concept note should describe; Background information (1 page), problem statement, research questions, and objectives (2 pages), methodology and expected outputs (2 pages). The proposed research questions must be relevant to health system strengthening and their outcomes must clearly contribute to a better understanding of Ethiopia’s health information systems and how improvements in health information systems including digitization of health information systems and information use can result in improvements to key health outcomes. The value and scope of a researcher’s work is measured by the extent that the proposed work corresponds to the nationally identified priorities to achieve the information revolution vision of FMOH. The research question should be original and innovative that can generate scientific evidence in the following areas;
1. Routine Health Information Data Quality and Information Use
2. Digital Health (mHealth, TeleMedicine, EMR, eCHIS, DHIS2, HRIS)
3. Health information flow at different levels
4. Performance mentoring teams in increasing data use and information culture
5. Health Information System Strengthening (HIS Policy Analysis, Health IT Economic Evaluations)
6. Health Information System governance
7. Other related topics proposed by applicants
The hosting University will provide funding for the research, publications, attending a seminar or short courses within or out of Ethiopia using the fund.
Applicants should send the following documents before May 31, 2019, through the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Expression of interest including the field of study and choice of hosting University – maximum of 1 page
2) CV – maximum of 5 pages
3) Support letter from the hiring institution
4) Concept note of the proposed Ph.D. research – maximum of 5 pages
5) Three reference letters
6) Copy of Bachelor and Master’s certificates and student copies (copy)
Successful candidates are expected to begin their study as of September 2019. Selection of Candidates will be done by a national level review committee. If you have questions on the overall program, please send your questions to the email address (email@example.com). If you have specific questions on how to get hosted and advisorship enquiry at the University of Gondar, please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will get back to you as soon as possible.