Dr. Tesfahun Melese is an assistant professor of Public Health Informatics at the University of Gondar, Ethiopia. He received his PhD in Information Technology from Monash University, Malaysia in 2019; his MPH degree in Public Health Informatics from the University of Gondar, Ethiopia in 2010; and his BSc degree in Industrial Engineering from Mekelle University, Ethiopia in 2006.
Dr. Tesfahun has joined the University of Gondar as graduate assistant II in 2007. Alongside his academic duties, he was working as data manager at the Dabat Research Center also known as the Dabat Health and Demographic Surveillance System (Dabat HDSS) site at the University of Gondar until he went to Monash University, Malaysia for his PhD study in 2014. Upon his return from Monash University in 2019, he has been teaching as well as supervising postgraduate and undergraduate students on their research thesis works. Currently, he is directing the Dabat HDSS site alongside his teaching and research activities at the University of Gondar, Ethiopia. Besides, he is serving as the editorial manager for the Ethiopian Journal of Health and Biomedical Sciences at the University of Gondar, Ethiopia.
He has been engaged in several research projects and produced scientific publications in peer reviewed journals. He has been also participated and presented his research work in several international and national research conferences. His research interest includes health informatics, data management and analysis, health information retrieval, health information system analysis, design and evaluation, and evidence-based medicine.
- Co-PI, Design and Development of Assistive Technology for People with Disabilities through Educational Platform: A Collaborative Research Project between Queen’s University and the University of Gondar, 2020
- Yilma, T.M., Inthiran, A., Reidpath, D.D. & Orimaye, S.O. (2019). Context-based interactive health information searching. Information Research, 24(2), paper 815. Retrieved from http://InformationR.net/ir/24-2/paper815.html
- Yilma, T. M., Inthiran, A., Reidpath, D., & Orimaye, S. O. (2017). Health Information Seeking and its Associated Factors among University Students: A Case in a Middle-Income Setting. PACIS 2017 Proceedings. 265
- Yilma, T., Inthiran, A., & Reidpath, D. (2016). College students from developing countries: Where do they get health information. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the 2nd SIGIR workshop on Medical Information Retrieval (MedIR).
- Yilma TM. Health Information Seeking Behavior among College Students: A case in a Developing Country. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval; Carrboro, North Carolina, USA. 2854947: ACM; 2016. p. 381-383.
- Gedefaw, A., T.M. Yilma, and B.F. Endehabtu, Information Seeking Behavior About Cancer and Associated Factors Among University Students, Ethiopia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Cancer management and research, 2020. 12: p. 4829-4839.
- Seboka BT, Yilma TM, Birhanu AY. Factors influencing healthcare providers’ attitude and willingness to use information technology in diabetes management. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 2021;21(1):24.
- Kalayou MH, Tilahun B, Endehabtu BF, Nurhussien F, Melese T, Guadie HA. Information Seeking on Covid-19 Pandemic: Care Providers’ Experience at the University of Gondar Teaching Hospital, Northwest of Ethiopia. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. 2020;13:1957 – 64.
- Seid, E., T. Melese, and K. Alemu, Spatial distribution and predictors of domestic violence against women: evidence from analysis of Ethiopian demographic health survey 2016. BMC Women’s Health, 2021. 21(1): p. 334.
- Emwodew, D., Melese, T., Takele, A., Mesfin, N., Tariku, B. Knowledge and Attitude Toward Evidence-Based Medicine and Associated Factors Among Medical Interns in Amhara Regional State Teaching Hospitals, Northwest Ethiopia: Cross-sectional Study. JMIR Med Educ, 2021. 7(2): p. e28739.
- Yehualashet, D.E., Yilma, T.M., Jemere, A.T., Gedlu, N.M. Factors Associated with Practicing Evidence-Based Medicine Among Medical Interns in Amhara Regional State Teaching Hospitals, Northwest Ethiopia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Advances in medical education and practice, 2021. 12: p. 843-852.
- Guadie, H.A., Kalayou, M.H., Endehabtu, B.F., Nurhussien, F., Yilma, T.M., Tilahun, B. eConsultation perception among health professionals in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in University of Gondar referral hospital, Ethiopia. Cogent Medicine, 2021. 8(1): p. 1939838.
- Mengiste, M., Ahmed, M.H., Bogale, A., Yilma, T. Information-Seeking Behavior and Its Associated Factors Among Patients with Diabetes in a Resource-Limited Country: A Cross-Sectional Study. Diabetes, metabolic syndrome and obesity : targets and therapy, 2021. 14: p. 2155-2166.
- Kebede ZT, Yigezaw GS, Yilma TM, Delele TG. Prevalence of pregnancy-related complications and associated factors among reproductive-aged women in northwest Ethiopia: A community-based retrospective cross-sectional study. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020.
- Zele YT, Ahmed AN, Wondie Y, Yilma TM, Gebreegziabher HW, Weldegebreal MK, Abera HT, Sharma HR, “Prevalence of low back pain and associated factors among young workers in traditional weaving of the informal sectors, Central and Southern Ethiopia,” Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies, pp. 1-12, 2019.
- Tsehay, A. K., Zegeye, D. T., & Yilma, T. M. (2017). Impact of Mass Media Exposure on Family Planning: Analysis of the Ethiopian Demography and Health Survey. Journal of Public Health in Developing Countries, 3(2), 405-412.
- Abate, S. A., Kedir, I., Yilma, T.M., Getachew, F., Kebede, G., Wubshet, M. (2017). Incidence of tuberculosis and associated factors among chronic HIV infected people who enrolled in the pre-ART and ART clinics of East Gojjam, North West Ethiopia. Ethiopian Journal of Public Health and Nutrition, 1(2), 70-143.
- Tsegaye, D., Abiy, E., Melese, T., & Tadesse, T. (2016). Delay in Seeking Health Care and associated Factors among Pulmonary Tuberculosis Patients in North Wollo Zone, Northeast Ethiopia: Institution Based Cross-sectional Study. Archives of Clinical Microbiology, 7(3), 17.
- Kebede, Y., Melese, T., Azmeraw, T., Tadesse, T., Tefera, Y., Gebayehu, A., Awoke, A., Alemu, K.. (2015). Population Dynamics in Dabat Health and Demographic Surveillance System Sites, Dabat District, Northwest Ethiopia: A four –year surveillance report (2009-to 2012). Ethiopian Journal of Health and Biomedical Science, 7(Special Issue).
- Biruk, S., Yilma, T., Andualem, M. and Tilahun, B. Health Professionals’ readiness to implement an electronic medical record system at three hospitals in Ethiopia: a cross-sectional study. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 2014. 14:115.
- Zegeye, K., Gebeyehu, A. and Melese, T. The Role of Geographical Access in the Utilization of Institutional Delivery Service in Rural Jimma Horro District, Southwest Ethiopia. Primary Health Care, 4, 150 2014), 2167-1079.1000150.
- Senbeto, M., Tadesse, S., Tadesse, T. and Melesse, T. Appropriate health-seeking behavior and associated factors among people who had cough for at least two weeks in northwest Ethiopia: a population-based cross-sectional study. BMC public health, 13, 1 2013), 1222.
- Gebreslassie, M., Feleke, A. and Melese, T. Psychoactive substances use and associated factors among Axum university students, Axum Town, North Ethiopia. BMC public health, 13, 1 2013), 693.
- Admassie, E., Melese, T., Mequanent, W., Hailu, W. and Srikanth, B. A. Extent of poly-pharmacy, occurrence and associated factors of drug-drug interaction and potential adverse drug reactions in Gondar Teaching Referral Hospital, North West Ethiopia. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research, 4, 4 2013), 183.
- Megabiaw, B., Adefris, M., Rortveit, G., Degu, G., Muleta, M., Blystad, A., Kiserud, T., Melese, T. and Kebede, Y. Pelvic floor disorders among women in Dabat district, northwest Ethiopia: a pilot study. International urogynecology journal, 24, 7 2013), 1135-1143.
- Tadesse, T., Getachew, A., Admassu, M., Kebede, Y., Awoke, T., Melese, T., Amsalu, S. and Alemu, S. Demographic and health survey at Dabat District in Northwest, Ethiopia report of the 2008 baseline survey. Ethiop J Health Biomed Sci, 42011), 2-23.
- Kumera, G., Awoke, K., Melese, T., Eshetie, S., Mekuria, G., Mekonnen, F., Ewunetu, T., Dereje, G. Prevalence of zinc deficiency and its association with dietary, serum albumin and intestinal parasitic infection among pregnant women attending antenatal care at the University of Gondar Hospital, Gondar, Northwest Ethiopia. BMC Nutrition, 1, 1 2015), 1-31.
- Tilahun, B., Zeleke, A., Fritz, F., Mola, Mihretu, Andualem, M., Assefa, S., Melese, T., Zegeye, D. & Gebeyehu, A. Towards Problem-Based Health informatics Education and Research: Ten Years of Experience and future directions. 9th Health Informatics in Africa Conference (HELINA 2014), 2014. Koegni eHealth.
- Zeleke, A., Tilahun, B., Zegeye, D., Andualem, M., Molla, M., Assefa, S. & Melese, T. A successfully handed over Master of Public Health in Health Informatics Program at University of Gondar, Ethiopia. 9th Health Informatics in Africa Conference (HELINA 2014), 2014. Koegni eHealth.
Tefera, Y., Nega, A., Wubie, H., Melese, T., Kifle, M., Tadesse, H., Wondie, Y. Research and Documentation on Workplace Hazards and How to Regulate Standards in the Informal Sectors, in Central and Southern Ethiopia. 2013. p. 342.
- Tefera, Y., Nega, A., Wubie, H., Melese, T., Kifle, M., Tadesse, H., Wondie, Y. Research and Documentation on Workplace Hazards and How to Regulate Standards in the Informal Sectors, in Central and Southern Ethiopia. 2013. p. 342.